Welcome to our picture page!

If you're looking for Debby and Carol's photo challenge, you're in the right place! Like many creative people out there, we've decided to challenge each other to each come up with a picture a week for the next 52 weeks, taking turns picking each week's theme. However, unlike most others, we're not using fancy cameras and showing off our PhotoShopping skills. Nope, we're limiting ourselves to our phones, and our pictures will be undoctored. Join us here each week for a new picture!

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Week 17: Bridges

Debby

In 2013 our local hospital had a fundraiser called Love Locks. They sold gold coloured locks to be attached to a bridge, built over a small creek in a downtown park. The concept was based on a scene from a movie set in Paris. The characters placed locks on a chain on the bridge balustrade, for love, for memory, for hope.

I purchased a lock for each of my children, as this campaign coincided with the 10th anniversary of their father’s death. The locks were engraved “To Dad” with their name. My daughter placed hers on the bridge, my son placed his out on his property.

This was my first visit to the bridge and I was surprised with the variety of locks, not all, sadly, purchased through the hospital. I never hear any news that this is an ongoing fundraiser, maybe because it was not a big money maker. But I like the idea, and may one day add a lock of my own.



Carol

I think I acquired my love of bridges (the older the better) when I was a kid. One of the parks we used to visit up north had an old wood and stone bridge spanning a slow moving river. We’d cross it to the oak trees on the other side, search for acorns, and on the way back stop in the middle of the bridge to make wishes, tossing the acorns into the water.

That bridge has long since been replaced with something more modern, but I’ll always cherish the memory. There just seems to be something inherently romantic about old bridges, don’t you think?

I took a couple of different bridge pictures, one was metal and spanned a wide river, one was small and wooden, spanning a dry river bed, and finally I settled on the following bridge. It’s not big or important, it only spans the nearby creek, but it serves its purpose with character.


No comments:

Post a Comment