Welcome to our picture page!

If you're looking for Debby and Carol's photo challenge, you're in the right place! Like many creative people out there, we've decided to challenge each other to each come up with a picture a week for the next 52 weeks, taking turns picking each week's theme. However, unlike most others, we're not using fancy cameras and showing off our PhotoShopping skills. Nope, we're limiting ourselves to our phones, and our pictures will be undoctored. Join us here each week for a new picture!

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Week 16: Fences

Debby

What’s that old saying...something about good fences make good neighbours?

I’ve seen a number of different style of fencing from the natural cedar hedge to tall wooden structures. There’s the unappealing chain link and the old fashioned wrought iron.

One of my favourites is a fence made from split rails. They don’t offer much in the line of privacy, nor are they going to keep intruders out, but they have an appealing old country look.

This photo was taken at a country house, far off the beaten path. The gardens, once lovely, had been left to grow wild for the past year. Still, this little corner held some appeal. I don’t know my flowers so the name of this shrub escapes me. But doesn’t it still have some beauty, even as it stands dry and colourless?



Carol

When I was a kid we owned a big chunk of property behind our house and my mother had a humungous vegetable garden that was bordered on one side by a split rail fence. I always loved that fence. So naturally I thought of that fence when I received this week’s picture topic.

There were several interesting fences around my neighborhood, including a white picket fence that I chose not to try and photograph because of the children playing behind it. How sad that you have to take these things into consideration these days.

I guess the split rail fence has gone out of fashion because the one I had intended to take a picture of, just around the corner from us, has been replaced by a wrought iron fence. It’s still an attractive addition to the garden on either side of it, but it seems to be more of a formal, elegant fence without the charm of the split rail.


No comments:

Post a Comment