Welcome to our picture page!

If you're looking for Debby and Carol's photo challenge, you're in the right place! Like many creative people out there, we've decided to challenge each other to each come up with a picture a week for the next 52 weeks, taking turns picking each week's theme. However, unlike most others, we're not using fancy cameras and showing off our PhotoShopping skills. Nope, we're limiting ourselves to our phones, and our pictures will be undoctored. Join us here each week for a new picture!

Thursday, June 21, 2018

Week 13: Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary

Debby

I have never had much of a green thumb, as I seem to be in the drown or desert dry class of gardeners. I blamed the cats, when I had cats, as to why my house plants were all of the silk variety but it was really because I had a black thumb.

My little patch of garden here is thriving, but then it only consists of four hosta and one clematis. The red flowers are my Mother’s Day plantar on a stand. My neighbour waters the garden daily, so I can’t take credit. I did cut up the Irish Spring soap and place it around each plant to, hopefully, ward off insect damage.

We have squirrels, chipmunks and rabbits and I saw chunks of soap on the grass, so assume the wildlife quickly learned this green in the garden was not a vegetable.

The colour looks great, and at night the tiny lights come on to outline the metal frames against the brick wall. I rarely see it at night, but my neighbours tell me it looks pretty from their windows. Doing my small part to pretty up the neighbourhood.



Carol

Mary, Mary, quite contrary
How does your garden grow?
Will silver bells and cockle shells
And pretty maids all in a row.


I have to admit, although I love looking at a flower-filled garden, I’m kind of an indifferent gardener at best. I start out with the best of intentions, but they kind of peter out as the days grow hotter. This is why the long garden across the front of the house is usually filled with petunias. The wave petunias fill in the space nicely and all I have to do is dead head them to keep them looking nice.

One of my favourite flowers, however, is the iris. So imagine my surprise when I went out to take a picture of my petunias and I found this iris in full bloom. I gave my husband hell last summer when he moved it to this location, but apparently he was right.

Just don’t tell him that!


No comments:

Post a Comment