Welcome to our picture page!

If you're looking for Debby and Carol's photo challenge, you're in the right place! Like many creative people out there, we've decided to challenge each other to each come up with a picture a week for the next 52 weeks, taking turns picking each week's theme. However, unlike most others, we're not using fancy cameras and showing off our PhotoShopping skills. Nope, we're limiting ourselves to our phones, and our pictures will be undoctored. Join us here each week for a new picture!

Thursday, May 31, 2018

Week 10: Mailboxes

Debby

My grandmother loved red birds, and created a garden that was a haven for them. When she no longer had a garden, I gave her back her cardinals, of some sort every Christmas.

I would search to find something different, that could find a place in her small space in the retirement home. There was a stained glass bird she hung in her window, then the ceramic tabletop Christmas tree with birds instead of ornaments. I found her a white sweatshirt with cardinals embroidered across the front. Then I sent her a mug, and last, a switch plate for the switch by her door.

They say, that when you see a red bird it’s a message from heaven. I like to think my grandmother is watching over me, but I also like the memories that seeing a red bird brings to mind.

When I saw this mailbox, along the side of a country road, it had to be a message from above. Miss you Baba.



Carol

I have to confess to almost causing several fender benders checking out mailboxes when I was driving around town this week. And the sad part is, it was all for nothing – most of the mailboxes I saw were basic black, with the odd brass coloured one popping up here and there.

There was an interesting looking one in my daughter’s neighbourhood, but between full time babysitting and getting ready for a trip, I just didn’t have the time to go back and get a picture. And then Debby sent me her picture early and hers was pretty much the same idea.

So I decided to go another way.

For the last couple of years there have been rumours of our door-to-door mail service being replaced by neighbourhood mail boxes. My picture is of one of these neighbourhood boxes that was set up for a small row of townhouses. I haven’t seen many more of them around town, and I have to admit I’m glad.


No comments:

Post a Comment