Welcome to our picture page!

If you're looking for Debby and Carol's photo challenge, you're in the right place! Like many creative people out there, we've decided to challenge each other to each come up with a picture a week for the next 52 weeks, taking turns picking each week's theme. However, unlike most others, we're not using fancy cameras and showing off our PhotoShopping skills. Nope, we're limiting ourselves to our phones, and our pictures will be undoctored. Join us here each week for a new picture!

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Week 3: Is It Spring Yet?

Debby

March 20th was the official first day of spring, but Mother Nature doesn’t like to follow the rules. She gave us a tease of warmer days to come, and then on April first, April Fools’ Day, she gave us another taste of winter in the form of freezing temperatures and, yes, snow.

The snow didn’t last but was enough to cover the ground, and shock everyone when they woke to their first look on the new day.

For a while the blue skies and sunshine were enough to balance out against the cold temperatures, but not when you add in the wind chill factor. And windy it has been.

Last week I was driving between our two small towns, along the two lane highway and was amazed at the number of signs blown down and broken, the tree limbs and branches scattered along the road side.

And then I caught sight of the lake. From a distance the water looked brown, and, needing a closer look, I drove to the beach. The waves were pounding on the shore with a fury, churning up the sand and silt, carrying it forward, colouring the water brown.

It was mesmerizing, a beautiful example of one of Mother Nature’s many moods, and I had to take pictures.

The weather channel calls for rain Wednesday, and Thursday, followed by more rain through to Monday. I shouldn’t be surprised really as it is April…and April showers bring May flowers, right?



Carol

Friday we had a bit of a blizzard situation going on, and while the snow did stick it didn’t stick for long and it was pretty frustrating when I missed several great photo opportunities. There was one in particular with the wet snow clinging to an evergreen that would have illustrated my ideas for this post perfectly, but I was driving at the time. Isn’t that always the way?

I did venture outside when the snow was at its thickest, hoping to get a shot of my neighbor’s crocus blooming with the snow coming down on them, but I didn’t see any crocus coming up! My one neighbor had snowdrops, but the wall they were against was grey so you couldn’t really see the snow coming down. *sigh*

The days are becoming more tolerable, temperature wise, but on the weekend we were still waking up to a skim of ice on the pool. Trust me, I wasn’t any more impressed than the ducks. But at least I was finally able to get my picture.

In answer to the question: no, it isn’t spring yet. But I think it’s on its way.

No comments:

Post a Comment